09 10

Sunday, 28 July 2019

My Lovely Wife. (Mindscape Reviews)



Hi Readers! I know you must wonder. 2 posts in 2 days! Since I am home since almost a week, I read books. I finished reading this book ‘My Lovely Wife’ by Samantha Downing in mere 2 days. As always, I saw this recommendation in many reading lists, which finally made me read it. And, read, I did. I was at it constantly all day! I’m pretty sure I’d have finished it in one seating, if I had stayed up. So, anyway, here goes the review!
It’s impossible to review this without giving out spoilers, so there are all kinds of spoilers ahead. Beware!!




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In ‘My Lovely Wife’, the protagonists are a couple who are married for fourteen years with 2 kids, who live in a nice neighborhood & have decent jobs. It’s almost another too boring of a family. But, not quite, because they have their own dirty little secret. Their hobby involves kidnapping women, torturing them & then murdering them. With such an interesting story line, it is impossible to put the book down. But when you read such a riveting novel in such a short span of time, it’s pretty much like watching a murder documentary, only it’s way more intense. At times, you do need to pause to gasp for breath because of the intensity of it all.

The husband and wife are quite the duo. In the past, their sweet start & romantic little things of their relationship are shown with these ‘love forever’ type stories. While, in the present, what keeps them intimate is a murder plan which is extremely creepy. It feels as if these are two totally different stories. The funny thing is they trust each other almost too much, but it never really pours through. It’s like a naked emotion. Dry words that mean nothing. And soon enough, it turns out exactly like that. 

In almost 75% of the book, it is shown how meticulously the couple plans these kidnapping & murders. And then, boom! In the remaining 25% of the book, the wife sets up the husband for all the murders. Shocking, isn’t it? Now, if you are an experienced crime thriller reader like me, you will see this coming. You will have a general idea, because it’s impossible to actually know the depths of the wife's cruel plan. For all the little things that seem inconsequential in the first 75%, there is an explanation in the remaining 25%. The author has written it brilliantly keeping every little thing in perspective. Ingenious.

Even if you don’t like the beginning or if you think that it’s slow, just keep at it. You won’t be disappointed. The story is a bit predictable, given the vulnerable title of the book, but it is worth it. In the disguise of a simple story line, it is a roller coaster underneath. It gave me major ‘Gone Girl’ vibes, so if you liked that, you will like this. I have rated it at 4/5 on Goodreads! Go on this roller coaster & have fun!
Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...